His Ministries’ mission is to combat substance abuse.
His Ministries provides services and programs for the prevention and intervention of substance abuse. A certified counselor provides free substance abuse recovery services to youth, adults and families in the Big Stone Gap area and the surrounding areas. Services and programs include counseling, referrals, education on substance abuse, a support group, alternative activities for youths, providing a certificate drug abuse class to inmates and assisting needy families.
Prevention activities for youth include The Edge Music Venue, free to all youth. The Edge is a venue where bands with a message to youth ‘not to use harmful substances’ come and give the youth a free show. Bands come and play free to more than 30 to 90 youth during a show. All youth have the opportunity to have a positive environment to participate in ‘to prevent’ them from hanging out with the wrong crowd. The Edge provides alternative activities throughout the year, as well. Outreach programs for area needy families have included providing food, winter coats, blankets and school supplies. In addition, His Ministries provides a place for offenders to work community service hours. Programs and services include:
• The Edge Music Venue provides youth a safe positive environment to hang out
• Counseling and referral services for individuals with addictions
• 12-Week Drug Abuse Program for inmates
• Support group for those with addictions
• Provide basic essential needs for needy families, when supplies are available
• Community Service Workplace for those with fines to be work off
• Drug Abuse Education for the prevention of substance abuse
• The Shop Around the Corner Thrift Store Student Training Program. The thrift store building is 98% complete: The thrift store is designed to give students training in small business, and assisting needy families through outreach projects.
More than 211 were assisted throughout the year with counseling, substance abuse classes and or referral services. 152 attended the 12-week certificate program and 6-attended the support group weekly.
More than 30 to 90 youth attend the Saturday night events at the Edge and sometimes weekly events throughout the summer.
Outreach Programs consist of helping needy families with the support of individual donations, businesses and mission groups who provide basic essential needs for needy families. More than 21,750 lbs of food were given away, serving more than a 1,000 individuals, in addition to giving away clothing, school supplies and winter items to needy families.
More than 500 individuals received information on substance abuse. Numbers do not include seminar, website, myspace, speaking engagement and facebook participants.
3-individuals were supervised in community service, working more than 1,000 service hours.
12-Volunteers adults and youth work weekly & monthly assisting in programs and operating the Edge.
Mission Groups throughout the year assist His Ministries in building projects and outreach programs.